Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Running post

I haven't written about running in a while.
Mostly because I've had injuries, heart problems, strep throat. You know, STUFF, just getting in the way of actually enjoying the sport.

I got to leave work a little early yesterday (Dad doesn't like me running outside in our neighborhood when it's dark). I've been easing back into it slowly. I was on the treadmill in  Rochester doing 8 miles for a couple days in a row until I got sick.

That went up in flames.

So, this past Thursday, Jack got a gym membership. I went with him and biked, went on the treadmill, and even lifted weights. Something different for once.  I ventured into unknown territory. THE UPSTAIRS. Que scary music. It wasn't that bad.

So then Saturday, Sunday, Monday, I ventured back outside to run my hilly neighborhood. And I was thinking, I got to the point where I became so sick of it, that I wasn't enjoying it anymore. And then I tried to remember if I EVER enjoyed it. I think I did. At least, I enjoyed what it gave me and made me feel.

I remember that breakthrough race. Sophomore year of High School. Setting the scene here: Wolcott High's track. End of the meet. 3200m final. I was always just tossed into this event because I ran cross-country and couldn't sprint to save my life, even if an entire zombie apocalypse was trailing me. I'd probably just give up and die. That was the extent of my running talent. I was still heavily invested in competing with Bandit. So, it's a warm late afternoon day and I put my ugly pink Asics spikes on. I actually felt a little excited. And mind you, my warm-up in high school was stretching. I didn't run 3 miles to get my legs ready for a 2 mile race. That came later in my obsessive collegiate career. I got on the line, gun went off, and I RAN. Ran for REAL this time. I crossed the line and Walker looked at me. No congratulations. Just a: "Where the hell has that been all season?!" My time dropped nearly three minutes from 15:00 to 12:42. I missed qualifying for states by like 10 seconds or something. And that was it. I trained like a maniac all summer. Well, 3 miles a day at the lake was a maniac back then.

X-C went alright. Then track rolled around. 5:20 mile by the spring. 12:00 3200 by the spring as well. Next X-C season, undefeated until I caught mono. And so begins the long line of injuries and sickness. Winter track - 11:17 3200m. Outdoor - 5:16 1600m. Then, a stress fracture.

Once I hit college though, I was determined to prove to no one in particular that I could run. So that summer, once my ankle healed up, 8-9 miles a day from mid-July until I made it to Marist. It was like I was possessed. That turned into 10-12 mile runs PER DAY, along with 12 miles on the bike 3-4 days a week, plus weights, and an hour long core workout. This went on until I strained my Achilles after Sophomore X-Country season. And then started the decline. My mileage slipped up until the summer between Junior and Senior year. I got an inhaler and got my mileage back up and actually had a decent Senior year, but it was pockmarked with injuries. Per usual. Track season was alright. I got close to my 10k PR of 36:12. Within 12 seconds of it I believe. I ran through the summer and started to really looked forward to my half marathon debut. But that spark was definitely missing. It still felt like WORK. After Sophomore year at Marist, anything for track or xc felt like work.

But I also remembered, High School and that summer right before college, other parts of my life kind of fell apart and running was what made me feel GOOD. Paul and I weren't together and everything was extremely rough between us. Instead of spending time out on the lake tubing or jetskiing, I was pounding miles out every afternoon. I felt a little lost going into College. And even my first year of college, all I liked about it was running. I didn't want to do anything else because it made me comfortable.

And now here I am. I went out for my run yesterday and while everything burned and hurt from being sick and banged up, I still did it. I stopped after 4 miles to keep from overdoing it. But I would really love for 9 miles to be a walk in the park. I did a long core workout. And tonight, I'll probably hang out with the bike again.

But here is my question to all POST-COLLEGIATE runner. How do YOU keep that spark? I still love the sport. On days when I don't run, I feel guilty and morose. I sulk around. But getting out on the roads is tough. especially with work being until 4:30 and it's dark when I get out. I don't HATE the treadmill, but I want the strength back from doing all my runs outside. Where's that motivation? I missed an upcoming race deadline because of my strep.

I am in a slump I guess.

Although yesterday, I started to enjoy it again. Maybe it's because I haven't been able to do it. Maybe it's because it's not in a job-like atmosphere anymore.

Whatever the reason, I hope it keeps up.

Sorry if this was rambly. I was thinking about it yesterday. Didn't know what to write today. So here it is.


And I this made me giggle. hahaha

Happy Trails everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Addie, I read your blog every once in awhile when I see a new post on Facebook. You ask a good question about staying motivated after college racing is over. A lot of people just hang up their racing shoes and move on. For me personally, I needed some time off after graduating. I took a month or two off right after graduating before jumping into some races in the fall. Then I took 3 months off in the winter just because I wanted to. I think these breaks were necessary to give myself time off after constantly competing for 8 years.

    The best thing for me to stay motivated is to pick a races that I want to compete in. Once I sign up, its not as difficult to get out the door everyday. What else also kept me training hard is having a team to belong to. I think this is probably the best thing about high school and college, the team atmosphere. Look for a local club where you can meet others to run with, it makes it more fun. Wow that was a long post, hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I think I've just had a really bad run of bad luck. Makes it tough to keep coming back.

      But thanks for reading :)
      Hope your running is still going well along with everything else.

      Delete