Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Red Fox Red Fox!

So I had to accomplish a long run this weekend before I attempt to tackle the half marathon on Sunday. Well, it was beautiful weather on Sunday. I skipped Friday and Saturday. Achilles woes. So, I got started, had some good music blasting, and I made it down one road and was going down the street to turn down the next little section. Well, there was a rather large red fox running along the scrubby weeds along the side of the road. He was just ahead of me, bounding along.

So I grinned a little and was like, "Oh, this is pretty cool. My school mascot was the red fox. I'm running with a red fox. Awesome."

You would think.

So I go down the road, turn around and I'm heading back. Music blaring. Feeling good. I'm starting to round the corner and stop dead. The fox is SITTING in the middle of the road, watching me. His head was following me when I moved side to side. I stopped my watch by this point and bent down to pick up a handfull of small pebbles to toss in front of me to try and scare him back into the woods/defend myself. I know. I'm so capable of protecting myself against a fox. Pshh. I was screwed. He had me cornered too. I needed to go that way to get home. So I looked up from picking up the rocks and he's gone. I have my headphones off and I hit the start on my watch again. The coast seems clear.

FALSE.

I'm maybe 100 feet from where I stopped and he dashes across the road in front of me. So I SPRINT home by this point, but still had like 5 miles left.

Well, the fox was gone the next time I went by the spot about 15 minutes later.

So yeah. That was my encounter. It made me a little nervous considering it was like 3 p.m. and this guy was just hanging out in broad daylight. At the same time...maybe it was a good sign...Maybe. I mean, I would really like that.

So the half is on Sunday. I just did a treadmill run last night and today is downpours. All day. So....treadmill again. Yup.

All I want today is to take a nap on the couch and listen to the rain.

Some foxy photos in honor of my new BFF





2 comments:

  1. Between falcons nesting on the Mid-Hudson Bridge and red foxes stalking you, I don't know how you are still alive. Just kidding. Good luck in your race on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha I know! And thank you :) I wish I had some falcon Mid-Hudson bridge runs to go on to get ready for it :(

      Delete