Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Morning

So it's Friday morning. Pre-Race day! Monmouth is tomorrow and the team will be taking the 2 and a half hours long bus ride down to Long Branch, NJ. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I haven't raced in...well...I did a race here an there, but they weren't good because I was still injured, so let's say over a year since I was last on a track, competitively. I already have butterflies. I plan on not eating a good 2 hours before because I know my stomach will pull its usual stunts in an even grander fashion. You know, just to kick off the season right! My whole body is sore from the workouts and runs this week though. I stepped up my training because it's still earlier and I need to start pushing now. I don't want to be hammering in runs and workouts like this when the bigger races start rolling around. I also hope that my legs can hold up after not having to go through these hoops for a while. We shall see.

  On another note, I've been working on my reckoning essay for nonfiction. I decided to braid in aspects of the Daphne and Apollo myth, a Dali painting - "Swans reflected as elephants", and "The Kiss" statue by Rodin. Oh and the Lake Isle of Innisfree poem. It should be interesting. But it's focusing mainly on how I always used to run from things. I originally ran from Otis because I was so self conscious of how I looked. then I found running and met Paul. and now I run to Otis to escape school and troubles. The tables have turned. And I know I fight with Paul a lot, but at the same time, we've brought each other through a lot. It's been 6 years of the ups and downs and THAT does have a consequence on how you act as a person. So I think I'll be exploring that a bit. It has to be 12 pages and I'm work shopping first, so I made a dent in that yesterday afternoon. But tonight will be all about making my Law Exam Review sheet.

I want all these projects to be done and papers written, but am I ready to move on to Senior year and a spring internship? I think mostly I run from growing up. It has to be done. but I have such strong connections to my memories and past events that I have trouble leaving them behind. Remembering them isn't enough sometimes. I used to feel that way about high school, but at this point, I'm fine with it being a memory. Hey, high school kind of sucks anyways! ha. And I still have Rachel, Arie, Ange, Dana, Sean and Fran to talk to. I was always closest with them and since  still have them, I'm ok. Otis is different though. Each summer is so different. A roller coaster, but each one helps me find out something new about myself. Interestingly enough, Paul used to HATE me running. So I think I was lax about my training because I just wanted to spend time with him. I mean, he's 350 miles away most other times of the year. But lately, he's been more supportive in understanding that it's just something I HAVE to do. I have a year left. A little more if I use my red shirts. And I do love it. It makes me feel strong and it's something I can work at and see results. The injuries are what kill me. And he hated seeing me hurt all the time. I agree. It sucks. But I think we've found that middle ground. and as long as this summer doesn't blast the heat, then I'll hopfully pull off some nice summer running around the lake :)

Sorry this post is so jumbled. Morning ramblings. I should be getting cleaned up and doing an ab workout. Oh, procrastination.

Picture from Semi-Formal on Lake Erie last year :)
I'd figure I'd put in a different picture each day ha

No comments:

Post a Comment