Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Summer is drawing to a close...or is closed

So here I am, just another day at work. My vacation was last week and I think I need a vacation from my vacation. How cliche. But what is bugging me today is the fact that all the grammar and high schoolers are returning to their brick buildings of higher learning and for the first year ever, I am without the smell and feel of new school supplies or new clothes.I mean, I bought a bra on sale from Aerie last night and some new Nike running shorts, but those don't really count. Gone are the days of searching for those just barely allowed khaki pants for Holy Cross that didn't look hideous. Or finding a sweater that allowed you to wear a polo instead of a button down every day of the school year. Or skirts that were short, but just to your fingertips so when you were pulled into the principal's office you could yank them down and get away with it. No more jiggling locks on the yellow and green lockers or the smell of somewhat new text books that gave me a strong impression of Lysol and mold. No more after school rush to change into running clothes or get down to practice. And then sit and complain about running.

This is the big girl world. You go to work. Try not to be too exhausted or get too awful of a headache and then go for a run, go to sleep, sometimes to laundry. Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, instead of continuing to reminisce, I feel like I should talk about my vacation.
Spent it in Otis.
But I went to Agawam to horseback ride. Then to Greenfield to finally see Bandit. He was as cantankerous as ever. He gave me a moment of ears forward, "hey, I think I remember you!" Then I touched his ear and he was angry/goofball Bandit again. Paul actually came with me and took pictures. He really liked this GIANT mare across from Bandit and then made friends with a gargantuan paint. The paint tried to bite his ankle under the fence. He was a feisty one. But seeing Bandit was fantastic. He had his own little paddock and he looked healthy.m They had him barefoot too, which was interesting. Gave him a hug and e-mailed the instructor again. I might try to get up there for a lesson at some point.

And the horseback ride in Agawam that Paul's mom bought was I think two Fridays ago. I rode this children's show pony named Spike. He was so tiny, but he definitely had spunk. I cantered him around the sides of the cornfields and Holly, the owner, let me jump him over some cross-rails when we got back to the stable. The first one, he did exactly what Bandit used to do. Ran up to it easily enough, then spooked and tried to stop in front, popped it, and then tried to run away. I stayed on, but was definitely rusty. Lost a stirrup. Grr. So I turned him around and went over a little cross rail line. No problems this time. We cantered to the second one actually. He was a little pistol though. Holly was like, "He would love you for a summer!" Yeahhh...not sure about that. He was ADORABLE. But I went through the whole "Who's the Boss" thing with Bandit and him spooking to get out of work. Not sure I want to do that again right away. Although who am I kidding?!? I loved every second of it. And I wasn't scared. The barn was absolutely beautiful. It was called Equine Boulevard and the owner knows Sarah from Frazier. Small world. If anything, the whole Friday horse experience cemented that I need to get back into it ASAP. I wish I had more money saved up or more time to work at a stable and pay for a few lessons.

Oh well...

In lake news, I got to do a little skiing and wakesurfing. The Mark Twain is in instead of the Malibu because it can fit in the low water. I just can't believe it's Labor Day this weekend. Next weekend is going to seem so quiet and dull. BUT...I'm considering doing the Rochester half marathon. I just wish I had someone to run it with me!! Any takers?!?!

I went for a 9 mile twilight run in Otis Sunday night and the weather was perfect for it. Made me think that I could still handle the half. We'll see. I need to do some thinking. The entry fee is 65.00. I'd hate to spend that if I'm really not ready for it.

PICTURES!!!!!!!

 Still argues with me hahaha


 Reunited!!!





 Paul's favorite mare

 Barefooting!

 Wakeboarding casualty

 Jack learned to barefoot



No comments:

Post a Comment