Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday

I ran. Outside. Well, for 7 miles of my 12 I did. ha. Winning.

What made me sad today was the fact that it was Palm Sunday. Every year, I remember dressing up nicer than for usual Church days and I would go to Mass with my family to receive Palms. Then we'd trek to the grandparents' homes and bring them palms or my Nonna would try to teach me to braid the palm into a cross. I failed every time. I still cannot, to this day. And she's no longer alive to continue trying to teach me. I guess I just miss my family. Isn't that what the holidays are really about though? They're not about presents or food or stupid traditions. They're about being with your family and having that group of people who hand out free hugs for whatever reason. I am not a fan of Church, but I would be willing to sit through an hour plus long Mass if it meant a Sunday at home with homemade tomato sauce, pasta boiling on the stove and my big, smelly yellow lab slobbering all over my hands. As it is, I have a race Friday night and while everyone else will be home with their families, I will be sitting track-side by myself. Saturday cannot come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment